Welcome

A review of last night and what's for dinner tonight.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Just tired of it all today.....

Today is just one of them days.  I am just fed up with being a stay at home mom.  I am in the kitchen getting everything out need out for supper.  I tell my 4 y/o that she can have a jello cup, but she had to eat it in the dining room.  Then I go into the living room and there is orange jello EVERYWHERE.  I get the floor picked up and decided to wait a little bit and then vacuum.  I go to the bathroom and come back into the living room and there is red jello EVERYWHERE.  I wanted to scream.  I get it all picked up and scrub a couple of spots and have to go to the bathroom again.  I walk in there and my 4 y/o squirted my older daughter's body soap all over the radiator, floor, and toilet.  I am at the point where I just wanna run to my room and just cry my eyes out.  I now have 2 hours til the oldest two get home from school and 3 hours til my third comes home.

On the bright side I am making baked pork chops with a sage parmesan crust with orzo and rice pilaf with spinich.  I hope it comes out ok.  I am on this kick where I do something new every night for supper.  I made my menu for three weeks and got main entree and 2 sides for every meal.

Last night I made enchiladas for the first time.  I made everything from scratch.  The tortillas, the sauce, even the mix that went inside.  Then I made a black bean and corn casserole as the side.  It all was amazing.  I ended up making 2 different sauces for the enchiladas.  I made a mild tomato one and a spicy ancho chilie mole type one.  I first boiled the chicken in chicken broth with all the spices (garlic, onion, oregano, thyme) in a coffee filter, because I was gonna use the juice for the sauces.  As that was cooking I made all my tortillas (20) and started to cook them.  As they were warming up I was cooking my sauces letting them reduce.  Then after the tortillas were done I drained the chicken and diced that after it cooled a little bit.  After the mole was thicker I started to add the chicken broth to it.  I took some thin sliced onions and caramelized them in a skillet and added the chicken. I removed it from the heat and added oregano, and garlic powder, cheese, and sour cream.  I put some in each tortilla and rolled them and filled a 9x13 and a 9x9 pan with them.  Then I poured the sauce over the tortillas and covered them.  I also put cheese on the top.  I put them in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes (til sauce was bubbly and cheese was melted).  For the black bean salad I put 2 cans of black beans and 2 cans of corn and rinsed them good.  Then I took a medium onion and finely diced it.  Added about 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette mixed and put in the fridge and wha la there was dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment