Welcome

A review of last night and what's for dinner tonight.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Safe or Unsafe That Is The Question.......

Right before we bought the house I talked with the school that my children attend and discussed with them whether or not I was still in the school district or not and then where the bus stop was.  The principle informed me that there wasn't one and we were considered to live within walking distance.  We discussed the pros and cons for a little while then told me that it would be good to have one in front of my house.  Let's jump forward two months.  I meet my neighbor.  She has a kindergartner and was told that the bus would stop in front between the two houses.  Later that day I was told by the bus driver that the school district superintendent said that it was unsafe for the bus to stop on the main street like that and that it was safer for the kids to cross the main street and get on the bus on the little side street.  EXCUSE ME????  Are you freaking kidding me?  I have two that get on the bus, but I cross FIVE kids across in the afternoon.  My neighbor has a daycare so there are days that she crosses up to 10 kids.  Another neighbor only crosses one child, sometimes three.  So between the three of us we can have up to 18 children crossing the street, a main road where people this it is OK to go 45 instead of the posted 25.  This superintendent (Dr. F) came to the stop and "talked" to us parents (more like at us).  He stated that it was unsafe for the bus to stop on the main street and we the parents have to "help" walk our children across the street.  We tried talking to him, but he stopped us and hopped into his car and drove off.  Both the neighbor and I called the school and said if we can get a crossing guard, in turn the school said you have to talk to the street department.  We contacted the street department, they stated that we have to talk to the police department.  We called the police department, and they said that is a decision for the school district.  Called the school district about 7 times and the neighbor lost count.  No one wants to acknowledge this matter.  Once it started to be dark when the children cross the road I was wearing bight colored sweatshirts.  I am not a small lady to say the least either.  I look down the street and noticed that all the cars were stopped at the light about a half a mile down.  I start to cross the street and about half way across I hear a loud engine accelerating.  I look and see this car speeding forward with NO lights on.  Lucky my kids and I got out of the way fast enough.  There were a few other instances that were similar where I almost got hit by a car crossing that street.  When trying to reach Dr. F he is always either in a meeting or out of the building.  I wonder what is safer.  The bus stopping on the main street or us walking our children across the main street?

2 comments:

  1. It is safer for the bus to stop on the main street because they have a stop sign attached to the bus for a reason. Talk to the bus driver and she what they say. If this does not work go to the radio station or even call a news station. MAKE IT PUBLIC!!!! Make sure you get everything in writing if you can saying that you have to go to so and so to fix this problem. It would be different if your children or the daycare children were all much older. Even then it is never safe to cross a main street without some sort of crossing stop or pedestrian crossing. (Ask about getting a child crossing sign posted.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be easier if I can actually get a straight answer from someone about something.

    ReplyDelete